Married 8 days before graduation. One thing I am proud the most in my life is my children. They all completed their college education: Charlie III BBA/ UTA; Patricia BS & MS/A&M in College Station; Lisa a BS/A&M, MS/UK & Ph.D/MU; Eddie a BS/Columbia &MS/Harvard; & Javier BS/A&M.
We adopted an older SNC, experiencing many challenges. Adoption took me into a pro-active position. I was State COAC President that initiated passing legislation. This resulted in my appointment on a State Legislative Committee. I did training in Washington, D.C. for individuals from all over the U.S. Was appointed to the Board of Directors of NACAC & served for 8 yrs—including as Vice Pres. I was successful in getting the conference to TX, to Dallas, with an attendance of 1000+. I was part of a national 12 member Latino grassroots organization that formed through funding from the Kellogg Foundation. Numerous times I was invited to be a federal grants reviewer in D.C.
I was instrumental in starting the 1st Edinburg Women’s Softball League, early 70's.
One thing that I am very proud of is having been named the Edinburg 1993 WOMAN OF THE YEAR by the Edinburg Chamber of Commerce. This is a really big honor. I was nominated for the 6th Annual AVANCE RIO GRANDE VALLEY MOTHER-OF-THE-YEAR award in 2000. I served as Pres. of the Edinburg Junior Service League. I currently am a member of the Edinburg Senior League. I served as Regent of the Edinburg Court of CDA. I am a member of Edinburg's Chamber of Commerce Leadership Class II.
I worked at the UTPA as senior secretary to Deans. I retired 16 years ago & moved to DFW. In 2004 my husband retired & we moved back to Edinburg.
Since retiring I have enjoyed sleeping late (I hated getting up early!--I'm a night owl person by nature).
I have 10 grandchildren. The 3 oldest are in college--2 oldest grandsons play college football. This month their teams (Dartmouth & Columbia) play against ea. other. These Ivy League universities are big rivals!
My personal goals were to be a wife & mother of a large family--I have accomplished these goals. I enjoy my todays and look forward to my tomorrow.
Clara Cantu Flores
What a lot you've done! You should be proud. I'm a night owl, too, so I know how you feel. I've trained he agencies I contract with not to call me early.
ReplyDeleteHi, Susan, I remember you since from Junior High at Lamar. I've had a pretty full life and I'm thankful for that. I couldn't write about it all, so I decided to just do highlights in my blog post. I have always believed that if I could do at least one thing that would positively impact one person's life or something that would make a positive difference in this world, that I would be doing okay. I think I've accomplished both of these goals and I am proud about that. I appreciate your comments, Susan. From one night owl to another, "thanks!"
Delete