After I
graduated from McAllen High School in 1965, I earned my BA from Southwestern
University in Georgetown, Texas, in 1969.
I answered the call to the ordained ministry, went to the seminary at
SMU and studied there from 1969 through December 1971. I spent the Spring of 1972 at the Universidad
Nacional Autónoma de México in Mexico City improving my Spanish language
skills. I earned my Master of Theology
degree from Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University in
1972. I did graduate work at the
Institute of Religion in Houston, Texas and at the Ecumenical Center for
Religion and Health in San Antonio, Texas.
In 1989 I earned my Doctor of Ministry degree from Perkins School of
Theology, concentrating on pastoral care and spiritual formation. In 1996 I was a Bridwell Library Fellow at Southern Methodist
University and in 2001 a Visiting Pastor Fellow at the Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest in
Austin, Texas.
I was
ordained a Deacon in June of 1971 in Corpus Christi, Texas. In June of 1972 I was ordained an Elder in
San Antonio, Texas. During my ministry I
served as pastor of local churches for 29 years and as supervisor of churches
for 7 years. I was pastor of churches in
Texas (Sherman, Harlingen, San Antonio, Dallas, and Mission) and New Mexico
(Albuquerque). My longest pastorate was
in Mission, Texas where I served for 12 years.
I was nominated twice for the office of bishop in the United Methodist
Church. I retired on June 30, 2013 from
the active ministry in the United Methodist Church.
At the
national level I served the Board of Directors of the United Methodist
Publishing House for 17 years, the Board of Directors of the United Methodist
Reporter, the National Committee on Hispanic Ministries and its Executive
Committee, and the Board of Trustees of Southwestern University (a national
liberal arts college) where I still serve on the Academic Affairs
Committee. In 1991, as a member of the
Board of Directors of the United Methodist Publishing House I got financial
support for the development of a new Spanish hymnal published in 1996.
Beginning in 1975 I taught for many years in the Spanish language school
for new clergy at Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University. I also served on the board of directors for
the Methodist Mission Home (Providence Place) in San Antonio, the Methodist
Children's Home in Waco, Texas, the Texas Methodist Foundation, and the United Methodist Reporter. Some
of my sermons were published
for five years as were some of my devotional meditations for three years. I edited a Spanish church newspaper for five
years. I also published religious articles in the Hispanic/Latino theological
journal Apuntes and other
church publications. Since 2001 I have served as the chair of the editorial
board of Apuntes, a Hispanic/Latino
theological journal. Currently, I serve
on the Board of Directors of the Texas Diaper Bank of San Antonio, Texas.
A few
highlights of my life: I married Juanita M. Campos from La Feria,
Texas in 1974 and we have two daughters. At Southwestern University I was
elected to the Student Senate and had my 5 minutes of fame when I modeled
(coat, shirt, slacks, and tie) during a fashion show. As a seminarian, two friends and I founded a
student organization, Los Seminaristas, for Hispanic / Latino ministry. For my 34th birthday I flew in a
soaring plane. The director for my
doctoral program, Dr. Ruth Tiffany Barnhouse, was Sylvia Plath's
psychiatrist. My family and I went to Spain
for Christmas 1992. I preached the
sermon at the memorial service in Mission, Texas, for coach of the Dallas
Cowboys Tom Landry, a native of Mission.
My prayer
“Familias en Crisis” was published in the United Methodist Spanish
hymnbook. The book, The Modern
Theologians: an introduction to Christian Theology in the Twentieth Century,
Second Edition, recognized me as a Protestant pastoral theologian. In May of 2000 several friends and I had a
private lunch with the Archbishop of Canterbury during his visit to the
USA. My wife and I have visited Puerto
Rico, Israel, Spain, Honduras, the Yucatan, France, England, Alaska, Canada,
and Italy.
Best of all, I have a wonderful, loving wife, two caring
daughters, and great supportive friends.
Robert, what a fulfilling, wonderful life you've led! Loved reading this.
ReplyDeleteWow! Your life has been filled with many of God's blessings. What wisdom you have! Thanks for sharing with us.
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful accomplishments!
ReplyDeleteRobert you forgot one very important part of your accomplishments and that was officiating at Mike's Mothers funeral. You did a beautiful job that we will all remember. Did you officiate at any other classmate of 65 service?
ReplyDeleteYour path was so full of accomplishments, beginning with Southwestern in Georgetown. You have surely been a blessing to many.
ReplyDelete